“Experience that Matters”
- Creating A More Responsive Government
- Investing in Public Safety and Services
- Working to Improve Environmental Conditions
- Preserving Our Natural Resources
Forming a More Responsive Government
I am establishing a real connection between the community and the City Council.
Accomplishments to date:
- Budget in Brief
- Open City Hall Community Meetings
- Park Community Meetings
- Neighborhood Meetings
- Mobile Device Usage Online Reporting
Quality of Life
- Approving residential and commercial development
- Abandon Property Ordinance
- Promoting partnership to execute filming
- Secured grants for Park and Recreation improvements
Working to Improve Environmental Conditions
- Sustainable community
- City corridor improvements
- Street and infrastructure improvements
- Transportation alternatives
- Smart City Initiatives
Vision for 2020
Increase Community Engagement
- Annual electronic citizen survey and poll to gather public viewpoints and track general satisfaction with city council services.
- Strengthen current communication channels such as Gardena Direct to effectively engage with the community and key stakeholders to efficiently respond to demand.
- Expand the City Council’s “Open City Hall” for the community to become better acquainted with their city council and provide a visual presentation of how to access City Council reports.
- Expand current initiatives such as the mental health evaluation team. The council needs to provide more funding to give the team more resources.
Improving Quality of Life
- Building Coalitions between city contractors and the community to foster economic development and growth for the city of Gardena.
- Embrace diversity and foster inclusiveness by celebrating the culture of Gardena by creating opportunities for different cultures to have community events.
- Work with community members and organizations to foster better neighborhood patrolling to promote safety and better community engagement.
Improving Environmental Conditions
- Establish an emissions cutback action plan to continue Gardena’s push for an environmentally sustainable community.
- Build a resource center on the cities website to consolidate public education, renewable energy financing, and permitting.
LIST OF ORDINANCES COUNCIL MEMBER HENDERSON INTRODUCED WITH CORRESPONDING ROLL CALL VOTE (AS OF 9/10/2019)
1) ORDINANCE NO. 1776, AMENDING CHAPTER 18.43 OF THE GMC RELATING TO DENSITY BONUSES AND OTHER INCENTIVES ACCORDANCE WITH STATE LAW
(Introduced: 7/27/2017 – Adopted 8/8/2017)
AYES: COUNCIL MEMBERS HENDERSON, TANAKA, MAYOR PRO TEM MEDINA, COUNCIL MEMBER KASKANIAN, AND MAYOR CERDA
2) ORDINANCE NO. 1782, MOVING THE DATE OF THE CITY’S GENERAL MUNICIPAL ELECTION TO EVEN-NUMBERED YEARS BEGINNING MARCH 2020
(Introduced: 10/10/2017 – Adopted 10/24/2017)
AYES: MAYOR PRO TEM MEDINA, COUNCIL MEMBERS HENDERSON, TANAKA, KASKANIAN, AND MAYOR CERDA
3) ORDINANCE NO. 1789, REAFFIRMING AUTHORIZATION TO COLLECT PUBLIC, EDUCATIONAL GOVERNMENTAL FEES
(Introduced 2/13/2018 – Adopted 2/27/2018)
AYES: COUNCIL MEMBERS HENDERSON, TANAKA, MAYOR PRO TEM MEDINA, MAYOR CERDA, AND COUNCIL MEMBER KASKANIAN
4) ORDINANCE NO. 1792, AMENDING CHAPTER 18.40 OF GMC RELATING TO OFF-STREET PARKING AND LOADING AND AMENDING CHAPTER 18.68 OF THE GMC RELATING TO TRANSPORTATION DEMAND MANAGEMENT
(Introduced 4/10/2018 – Adopted 4/24/2018)
AYES: COUNCIL MEMBER HENDERSON, MAYOR PRO TEM TANAKA, COUNCIL MEMBERS MEDINA, KASKANIAN, AND MAYOR CERDA
5) ORDINANCE NO. 1799, AMENDING SECTIONS 14.04.030 AND 14.04.50 AND 14.04 280 OF THE GMC RELATING TO QUALIFICATIONS OF RENT MEDIATION BOARD MEMBERS AND NOTICE OF MEDIATION PROCEDURES
(Introduced 8/14/2018 – Adopted 8/28/2018)
AYES: COUNCIL MEMBER HENDERSON, MAYOR PRO TEM TANAKA, COUNCIL MEMBER MEDINA, MAYOR CERDA; ABSENT: COUNCIL MEMBER KASKANIAN
6) ORDINANCE NO. 1803, APPROVING ZONE CHANGE #2-18 CHANGING THE ZONING OF A 3.9 GROSS ACRE SITE @ 14031 S. VERMONT AVENUE, 1101 W. 141ST STREET AND 1017 W. 141ST TO MEDIUM DENSITY RESIDENTIAL (R-3) (ZC #218, APNS 6115-017-036 AND 6115-018-004)
(Introduced 3/12/2019 – Adopted 4/9/2019)
AYES: MAYOR PRO TEM TANAKA, COUNCIL MEMBERS HENDERSON, MEDINA, KASKANIAN AND MAYOR CERDA
7) ORDINANCE NO. 1807, MAKING CHANGES TO CHAPTER 18.19 MIXED USE OVERLAY ZONE OF THE GMC RELATING TO TRANSITIONAL AND SUPPORTIVE HOUSING
(Introduced 8/27/2019 – to be Adopted on 9/10/2019)