GARDENA COUNCILMAN – MARK E. HENDERSON
“Relevant Experience Still Matters” Re-Elect Henderson on March 5, 2024
I am Dr. Mark E. Henderson actively pursuing re-election to the Gardena City Council for one final term. Since my first election in March 2015, my focus has been on taking-action for the betterment of the City of Gardena. I firmly believe in engaging with our community through hands-on initiatives, including:
- Hosting "Open City Hall" meetings where I listen to your concerns.
- Organizing various community meetings to connect with residents.
- Facilitating meetings with the business community to foster economic growth.
- Sponsoring resource events to provide valuable support to our community.
- Simplifying our budget explanations through the “Budget in Brief” initiative.
In addition to community engagement, I am a staunch advocate for Responsive Government, and I’ve successfully integrated technology into our council’s operations. Here are some of the technological advancements I’ve championed:
- Led the adoption of technology that has significantly reduced paper usage and costs in our council.
- Partner with South Bay Cities Council of Governments to establish fiber optic cable systems, enhancing our city’s infrastructure for traffic control.
- Addressing the Digital Divide by spearheading our parks’ Wi-Fi and computer lab projects.
- Supporting policies aimed at improving our community’s recreation facilities.
I’m also dedicated in promoting the interests of our local businesses, particularly small to medium-sized enterprises. I’ve taken the following actions to ensure their active participation in economic development opportunities:
- Establishing Entrepreneurial Incubators to nurture business growth.
- Promoting partnerships with labor groups to foster collaboration.
- Continuously working with higher education institutions to create valuable alliances.
Throughout my years of community service, I’ve held various roles, including serving on the Gardena Rent Mediation Board, the Planning and Environmental Quality Commission (PEQC), and even acting as Mayor Pro Tem and Acting Mayor. I’ve built a strong network of support and respect among my colleagues in elected leadership roles within Los Angeles County:
- 2009 to 2013 Gardena Rent Mediation Board; Member-at-Large
- 2010 to 2013 Planning and Environmental Quality Commission (PEQC)
- 2012 Chair Planning and Environmental Quality Commission (PEQC)
- 2015 Councilman
- 2016 Mayor Pro Tem
- 2016 to 2017 Acting Mayor
- 2020 Councilman
- 2023 Mayor Pro Tem
Being an active member of elected leadership requires a council member to execute responsibilities that also support work within the Los Angeles County region. Councilman Henderson has dutifully fulfilled many external roles and has gained the support and respect of other elected colleges. Some of those roles are as follows:
- Centinela Youth Services - Delegate
- Southern California Association of Governments (SCAG) – Delegate
- SCAG – Racial Equity Housing Committee - Chair
- West Basin Water Association - Alternate
- Independent Cities Association – Past President
- Mobile Source Air Pollution Reduction Review - Delegate
- USC - Sol Price Public Policy Institute for Elected Officials – Advisory Board
My biography illustrates my commitment to the community and what being an example can mean. I was born in Harbor City, CA, and raised in Los Angeles County. After I completed military service in the U.S. Navy, I obtained a Bachelor of Science degree in Telecommunications Management, a Master of Business Administration degree, and a Doctorate in Organizational Leadership.
I have been recognized by the Center for Digital Education as a Top 30 Technologist, Transformer, and Trailblazer and am a current employee of the Los Angeles Community College District as the District Manager of College Technology Services.
As an over 35-year resident of Gardena, and as Councilman I remain actively involved in the life of our community and works to assist others in becoming their best selves. Below are some past affiliations:
- City of Gardena youth sports activities – Volunteer Coach
- Gardena Pop Warner – Volunteer City Commissioner
- PVJOBs Inc. – Board President
- Brothers Inc. Youth Leadership – Board President
Dr. Mark is currently working to develop new program opportunities for our community youth related to S.T.E.M. and S.T.E.A.M. and honing their skills in decision-making and critical thinking. I am a continuous and supportive advocate for combating homelessness and Veterans’ concerns in Los Angeles County.
Councilman Dr. Mark E. Henderson always believes in collaboration with all community stakeholders to develop and deploy success strategies to improve our elite City and achieve an initiative of “Progress and Prosperity” for all.